Round three of the 2016 Monster Energy Supercross Series made its final visit to Angels Stadium of Anaheim for the season. Much like the opening round, Anaheim Two saw an immense amount of intense race battles – especially in the 250 main event, as Yamalube/Star Racing/Yamaha’s Cooper Webb and GEICO Honda’s Christian Craig put on quite a show for the crowd. The two riders exchanged the lead numerous times, but it was Webb who emerged the victor for his third main event win of the season. In the premier class, Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey found himself at the top step of the podium once again, but not after an opening lap challenge from BTO Sports KTM’s Davi Millsaps. This marks Dungey’s second win of the season, and he now sits 13 points ahead of Monster Energy/360 fly/Chaparral/Yamaha’s Chad Reed.
250 Heat Races & LCQ Notes
- The first holeshot of the night went to Yamalube/Star Racing/Yamaha’s Cooper Webb, and after leading the first lap, he had to settle for second after several pass attempts on GEICO Honda’s Christian Craig.
- Craig’s first pass attempt on Webb didn’t amount, but after showing a tremendous amount of speed in the whoops, he made the pass on the defending champ and went onto his first career heat race win.
- Kyle Peters jumped off the gate to a top five start, and qualified into the main event with a sixth place finish after a battle with several riders.
- Jordon Smith also got a great start and qualified in third after passing several riders late in the race.
- Kyle Cunningham began the race in fifth, moved into fourth place, but then had to settle for fifth as his qualifying position, as he was passed by Colt Nichols in the final laps.
- Once the gate dropped, it was apparent that there was a malfunction because several riders became stuck in the gate, and the race was immediately red flagged.
- Once the riders lined up again, it was GEICO Honda’s Jimmy Decotis with the holeshot, and after a battle with Rockstar Energy Racing Husqvarna’s Zach Osborne, the 58 qualified into the main with a second.
- A massive pile-up ensued just after the first turn, which claimed several riders.
- Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Joey Savatgy moved quickly into the lead and finished in first place after a smooth heat race.
- Zach Osborne moved into third around Decotis early on in the race, but after several passes between the two, Osborne had to settle for third.
- Alex Martin moved into second, but it was short lived, as he was passed by several riders. Martin transferred into the main with a fifth place finish.
- Luke Clout grabbed the holeshot in the 250 LCQ and rode a near unchallenged race to finish in first.
- 51Fifty Energy Yamaha’s Zach Bell moved into second early on, but made a small mistake, which cost him dearly. Bell was forced to finish in fifth and out of transfer to the main event
- Hayden Mellross quickly moved into third and capitalized on Bell’s mistake, which helped him to finish in second.
- Michael Leib started in near dead-last and made his way through the pack to qualify into the main event in third place.
250 Main Event
- Decotis took the holeshot, but was immediately shuffled back into the pack. However, he gathered his thoughts in time to finish in fifth.
- Savatgy jumped into the immediate lead, but was then passed by Craig for first. On lap six, the 37 made a mistake in the whoops that put him on the ground, but he would remount to finish in fourth.
- Craig made quick work of Savatgy on the first lap to move into the lead. Webb managed to reel in the 38 machine to mount an attack, and an incredible battle ensued. Both riders exchanged the lead numerous times, but Craig would have to settle for third after one last pass by Osborne.
- Webb started in sixth and then moved into the top three by the end of lap five. After going by Savatgy for second, Webb then mounted an attack on Craig. After multiple passes, Webb then moved into the lead and took the checkered flag.
- Osborne moved into third by the end of lap two, where he stayed for most of the race, but then set his sights on Craig after the GEICO Honda rider tired after battle with Webb. Osborne ultimately finished in second and Craig in third.
Main Event Results
- Cooper Webb
- Zach Osborne
- Christian Craig
- Joey Savatgy
- James Decotis
- Jordon Smith
- Kyle Cunningham
- Colt Nichols
- Mitchell Oldenburg
- Kyle Peters
- Cole Martinez
- Chris Alldredge
- Michael Leib
- Luke Clout
- Scott Champion
- Chase Marquier
- Hayden Mellross
- Chris Howell
- Alex Martin
- Bracken Hall
- Steven Mages
- Fredrik Noren
250 West Coast Supercross Championship Points (After 3 of 8 races)
- Cooper Webb (75/3 wins)
- Zach Osborne (57)
- Joey Savatgy (53)
- Jordon Smith (51)
- James Decotis (47)
- Colt Nichols (43)
- Christian Craig (42)
- Kyle Peters (36)
- Mitchell Oldenburg (30)
- Kyle Cunningham (28)
Read more at http://motocross.transworld.net/news/2016-anaheim-two-sx-race-report/#lHsmbcG1yXRExw8f.99